‘OM’ the primordial sound is the eternal sound of the Universe. Chanting of Om tunes us spiritually and physically with every element of the Universe. Its rhythmic utterance creates vibrations at the frequency of 432 Hz, which has a calming effect on the body and the mind. It is the same frequency that can be found everywhere in nature. Om is chanted thrice indicating the past, the present and the future existence of our soul.
The three syllables of Om are:
A – U – M
Symbolizing the waking – dream – and dreamless state.
The chanting of Om thrice before meditation helps us realize our highest potential or the infinite consciousness which is hidden from us by the veil of Maya or illusion.
We often find ourselves living in a state of confusion; especially in this world of social media. To develop our concentration and willpower the chanting of Om is beneficial.
Om chanting –
- Detoxifies the body
- Controls hypertension
- Improves memory retention
- Increases focus and willpower
- Improves our concentration levels
- Improve the blood circulation in our body
- Reduces stress levels and relaxes mind and body
- Improves oxygen levels in the body imparting a glow on it
- Strengthens spinal cord improving its efficiency
- Improves control over feelings and emotions
- Increases alertness and awareness of mind
- Rejuvenates the digestive system
- Rejuvenates the nervous system
- Rejuvenates circulatory system
- Improves hormonal balance
- Increases immunity levels
- Improves quality of sleep
- Reduces blood pressure
The overall result is an improved personal and professional life. Om chanting has tremendous positive effect on students. Children above 8 years can improve their academic performances with the regular practice of Om chanting before studying. They will be able to focus better in studies with improved concentration levels and memory retention capacities. The vibrations in the brain while chanting Om deactivate certain parts of the brain resulting in relaxation of the mind, reducing stress and depression. Chanting Om strengthens the body and mind, awakening the power within.
The outcome of chanting Om depends on the correct method of doing it–
- Sit cross-legged in a silent area. Keep hands straight, positioning them on the knees. Palms opened upwards with index fingers touching thumbs keeping the other three fingers straight.
- Keep the spine absolutely straight including the neck.
- Take in a deep breath and think of peace and happiness around. Life is an illusion and we have the power to think as we like.
- Breathe lightly and monitor the flow of breath and listen to the vibrations and sounds of the body.
- Relax the mind and body.
- Breathe in as much as possible and pause for a while.
- Breathe out till the air is exhausted and pause for a while.
- Repeat the process thrice.
- The fourth time chant the ‘A’ in the Aum as you breathe out and feel the vibrations in your abdomen and navel area. Chant the ‘U’ and feel the vibrations in the chest. Similarly, chant the ‘M’ and feel the vibrations in your head.
- After each exhalation pause before taking in a long deep breath and pause before the next chant.
- With each chant expand the mind and body so that oxygen is absorbed and flows freely through the body.
- A straight and correct posture ensures circulation in all the organs helping them to work efficiently.
- When the Om chanting ends, chant –“ Shanti hi, Shanti hi, Shanti hi – Aauumm...” to invoke peace and calmness in life. (The word Shanti means peace)
Initially start with three chants and increase it to nine with time. Try concentrating on the area of the third eye or the forehead. The mind has limitless capacities waiting to be discovered. We do know about the sixth sense or intuition but do not know how to rein in its power. The opening of the third eye will help us in achieving our aims with ease.
The third eye is the most potent source of intuitive wisdom which removes negativity, develops creativity, and knowledgeable insight, leading to the highest form of intelligence. The third eye provides clarity in our thought process and guides us towards things that need our attention and actions.
Imbibing the habit of Om chanting on a regular basis can work wonders for the body and mind improving the quality of life and providing a radiant glow that comes from within.